Buying gifts for friends and family from a holiday can be a struggle. While holidays are a time to relax and enjoy the destination, shopping is a big part of vacation. Whether it is for self or for loved ones, everyone likes to look around the local markets for gifts or souvenirs to take back home. Here are some tips to choose right gifts for your loved ones.
- First and the most important thing to do is to make a list of people for whom you want to buy.
- Allocate a budget for each gift and be realistic with it. Consider the extra expenses you might have during a vacation.
- Check the local markets and souvenir shops. They work out cheaper and authentic than the duty free stores.
- Beware of over priced items and scams.
- Make sure to buy from reliable markets/shops. If haggling is common at the market you are shopping be prepared for it or look for shops with ‘fixed price’.
- Be aware of the airline rules and custom duties. Check the amount of liquid allowed or size of package allowed in your checked in baggage. You could land yourself into legal trouble if you do not know the rules.
- If you decide to buy fragile items, plan to pack them properly.
- Buy souvenirs with the name of the destination you are visiting.
- If nothing works, buy chocolates, wine, perfumes or other duty free stuff.