Gatherings, formal or social, are always centered around food. Celebrations are centered around food. Heck, even romance is centered around food. What is a date, if not the idea of getting to know someone over some mindless conversations at the corner table in a fancy restaurant! The ritual of picking the right place, the cuisine she might like, the perfect bottle of bubbly to go with it. It is a dance we have all danced. And surely, there is a certain comfort in this. I have been on enough dates to associate food and all its ornaments with a warm, fuzzy feeling.
“Food is symbolic of love when words are inadequate.” — Alan D. Wolfelt
But my dysfunctional relationship with food doesn’t stop there. When my anxiety peaks, I look to some pasta and gravy to calm me down. When my mood swings hit a low cycle, it is waffles and ice cream that set normalcy back in my life. When I am happy and too excited that even the walls can no longer hold me in, it is the street food that buoys me. And at some point I do feel like it is all getting out of control!
And since dining is such a quintessential affair if you are in Singapore, let me help you with a few pointers to help the foodie in you make the most of the wide variety of choices available:
- Be adventurous. Often described as a national pastime, dining is an integral cultural experience in Singapore, whether you are a local or just visiting the country. With the horde of options within your purview, go crazy and try them all. From the local tastes to the international cuisines, Singapore will never disappoint your taste buds.
- Allocate a monthly budget. The price of the dishes is not directly proportional to the enjoyment of food. With the variety of options available at your disposal, it is preferred to allocate a monthly budget. Having done that, you can best identify whether you want to go all out and splurge on dining out at the Indian Curry House, or enjoy the frequent Chinese takeouts.
- Research. Internet is flooding with ratings, rankings and reviews of all the popular food joints in your vicinity. Downloading the many food apps is never an overkill. These applications help you make reservations, find great discounts, view the recommendations, and even order food delivery. This can ensure that you get good value for your money.
- Have an early meal. We all know how difficult it is to stay focused through an entire workday. Hence, it is safe to assume that when having an early lunch or dinner, we have caught the cooks at a time when they are fresh into their shifts and are still focused on perfecting our meal. Also, Grandma’s tales tell us that having an early meal is good for our health.
- Look out for the local food festivals. If you are anything like me, food festivals must get you more excited than spending the weekend at a sports bar. The latest buzz is around the Singapore Food Festival. This mega foodie fair is your one good chance at experiencing the delicious Singaporean food.
I, sure would be heading out to the Singapore food festival, right after I am done devouring this cake I baked for myself!
To discover more, head to Mooments!